Ok let´s face it, you have come to Pamplona for the party and also to run with the bulls. You don´t need any advice in knowing how to party, but running with bulls, it is a bit different than running back at home and there are some things, you need to know before, during and after the run. Here you can find 11 tips to try to make the best of it and the safest of it as well.
- A lot of people think that you need to sign in to be able to run. This is a myth in town, and unfortunately some people have been scammed with this and have payed many euros for a fake pass. You do not need to sign in, just show up in the street and run
- Get some previous sleep. You really need to be awake. Coffee or a warm soup (we call it caldo) does miracles at this time in the morning. You can find them everywhere in town. I personally never eat breakfast before the run, food plus stress is not a good combination…
- I recommend you get in the street of the run by 7:00 am. This way you can get a feeling of the street and make it yours. Decide what part of the run you will run and walk it a couple of times up and down. You need to control your surroundings.
- Warm up a little bit or a lot before the run. People who has never run with the bulls don´t warm up. Many feel weird doing it in the middle of a street packed with stressed runners. If you look around, the good runners are warming up. You need to be prepared to run, jump, etc…
- Buy yourself a local newspaper “Diario de Navarra”, “Diario de Noticias” roll it up, you will have something to release stress with and also you will be able to check inside for the pictures and weights of the bulls that will run with you.
- Remember that not all the bulls are black. We can have white ones, blond, brown,etc… and this is when your newspaper comes handy.
- At 8:00 you will hear a rocket, that is the beginning of the run. Unless you are very close to the beginning, the herd will take some time to reach you. So wait against the wall, don’t forget to breathe and wait until you feel the bulls, trust me, you will feel them before you see them.
- Run as fast as you can. Once the herd passes by, don’t try to over run them, some gates will be closed once the bulls pass, so they cannot run back.
- If a bull stops, there is no need to be the hero of the day, let the professionals take care of it. Get out of there as fast as you can. It is tempting to stay but this is the most dangerous situation during the run. You will see people dressed in green, they are the shepherds in town. Respect them!
- Remember: no alcohol, no cameras, no backpacks and wear tennis shoes. If you do any of these the police will invite you out of the run. It is tempting to film the run, but please don´t do it.
- My last recommendation, run faster than somebody else, so if somebody has to be gored it won’t be you. LOL
If you are thinking in running in front of these 6 crazy bulls, maybe you should book a class, and learn how to run from one of our expert guides and ex runners. Follow this link and book now.
If you are interested in a practical lesson to learn how to run with the bulls, we can help you with that, follow this link and book a class now!!!