Pamplona is a very quiet and small city, in fact we are just 200.000 people. In Spain we are known to be a bit conservative and a little bit shy, but all of this changes on July 6th at noon. It is the opening ceremony for San Fermín or as we call it El Chupinazo.
You have to think that on this day we welcome about 1 million people from everywhere around the world. It is magnificent. All of this people try to fit in a very small square. So here are some tips that could make your life easier when coming to the opening ceremony:
- If you are planning to go inside the City Hall square be there before 11:00 am. It will be impossible for you to get even close to the square. It gets too crowded.
- If you are in the square facing the City Hall I strongly recommend you not to be on the back left of the square. Every year a large group of people stays in that place and they are extra drunk. They come with an international tour company that sells only drinking tours ( I am not joking). It is not nice.
- Eat well before you enter the square. You will be there until 14:00 minimum and there is no way you will be able to get any food.
- It will be hot, very hot, so take some liquids with you, water, wine … but always in plastic bottles. The police will not allow you in the square with any crystal container.
- This is going to sound obvious, do not wear sandals, wear tennis shoes. Every year we send about a hundred people to hospital because they were not aware of this little tip.
- Do not wear a back pack. It is useless, police will not allow you in the square with a backpack. Just carry whatever you want on you.
- Unless you are physically prepared and you are ready to be covered with wine do not go into the City Hall Square.
- If you do not want to go to the middle of the City Hall square, you can be a little bit more relaxed in Plaza del Castillo, but if you are with children you should go a little further to the avenue Carlos III or Paseo de Sarasate. There you will find big screens to see what is going on in the square but you will not be squeezed out in the crowd.
- If you are planning to rent a balcony spot, plan to pay about 400-500 euros per person. It will depend on the location of the balcony. All of them will serve you what we call “aperitivo”, which is a sort of cocktail lunch.
- When it ends do not go away right away, wait about 20 minutes because the city official band of “gaiteros” will come out of the City Hall playing music. It is so much fun, do not miss it.
I know it sounds wild and you might think that I am talking you into not going there at all, that is not my intention, I just want you to loveit as much as I do. If you follow these basic rules I believe you can make the most of it.
So if you don´t want to be in the middle of this amazing craziness but you still want to life it, but in the safest way possible , follow this link and book a balcony spot to watch the opening ceremony
VIVA SAN FERMIN!!